Friday 26 November 2010

Thanksgiving Envy

Hello!!!
Well look at this, two posts in two days. I definitely think that I am starting off on the right foot with this blog!!

Now there is something you need to know about me, I am a complete Yankophile. I am pretty much obsessed with everything American. I love to go into Selfridges and look at all the heavily marked up American foods, my guilty pleasure is watching the host chats of Regis and Kelly each day and I definitely feel as though New York is my spiritual home. My love for all things American is ridiculous and, quite frankly, a little bit creepy.

Of late, however, reading through some of my favourite blogs, I've contracted an extreme case of Thanksgiving envy. Now, I've always had a creepy obsession with thanksgiving, in my formative years I would scour the internet looking for ways to watch the Macy's thanksgiving day parade. Failing to find any decent stream of the event, I would watch the grainy images on Earth Cam (I think we can all tell that I am the epitome of cool).

But I just love the whole idea of the holiday. A day dedicated to being thankful and eating. Maybe I have a romanticised view of it all, but it sounds pretty much amazing. Turkey, potatoes, stuffing and, most fascinatingly (for me at least), pumpkin pie....



Definitely intriguing to me. Pumpkin pie isn't readily available here, definitely not in the supermarkets anyway. The only places that I have seen it is in some of my favourite bakeries, Konditor and Cook and the Hummingbird Bakery. Pumpkin isn't really readily eaten over here and the only time you'll really see is in the fortnight leading up to Halloween, after that it is quickly whipped off of the shelves again. And, to be honest, from my pumpkin carving experience, i've always considered the humble pumpkin to be a bit of a stinky vegetable.

Have a judged the sweet little squash too harshly? I think it is about time I tried to get my hands on some famed American Pumpkin Pie.

If anyone is out there reading this, I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Consider yourself  lucky, this girl wants in on that holiday.

Speak to you later (hopefully for my FIRST EVER third blog post!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment